The Bottom Line
Carol’s collection of articles can help you operate your business better today, as well as plan for the future. Get her latest advice in the areas of financial strategy, business leadership and operations management.
Our power as leaders grows exponentially when we surround ourselves with knowledgeable people – a team of experts who can advise and guide. Carol Coughlin founded BottomLine Growth Strategies, Inc., in 2006 as a way for small and medium-sized businesses to access the same high-level financial and operational expertise that gives large companies a distinct advantage. Using her own extensive corporate experience and willingness to sit in the hot seat as a catalyst, Carol helps BottomLine Growth clients climb to the summit of their success.
“Do the right thing, and be honest.” Living by her motto in the truest form, Carol leads with unfailing integrity and unflinching truth, telling clients what they need to hear to overcome operational, strategic, and financial speed bumps and achieve sustainable growth. She has assembled a winning team of expert “Sherpas,” whose collective knowledge and experience clients can count on for outstanding results.
Before founding BottomLine Growth, Carol was an accomplished CFO who helped lead four of the most prominent healthcare services companies in the United States to sustained profitability. Among her many accomplishments:
- Developing a comprehensive infrastructure which not only recouped a $2.5 million loss, but resulted in a $12 million gain.
- Turning around a $24 million loss and generating $12 million in profit.
- Managing the sale of three businesses and handling post-sale integration of financial systems.
- Developing innovative systems and processes for enhanced financial reporting, annual planning, budget and strategy development.
- Leading an initiative to in-source billing and enrollment, saving over $1 million annually.
- Overseeing growth of over 70,000 healthcare insurance members and a 350 percent improvement in shareholder value for the company.
- Supervising all financial operations and improving the bottom line of a $45 million company by $4 million.
- Leading the implementation of Medicare Part D, which had a $15 million annual revenue impact for the organization.
- Supervising various functional areas, including Accounting, Operations, Finance, Medical Economics, Information Technology, Business Development and M&A.
Carol navigates the complex and high-pressure world of corporate finance and strategy with skill, determination, and a practicality that underlies and complements her innovative spirit. She brings on-the-ground experience, big picture perspective, and the ability to cut through clutter to find potential and opportunity to every client.
BottomLine Growth was awarded Women’s Business Enterprise Certification (WBE) by The Women’s Business Enterprise National Council (WBENC) in 2012. BottomLine Growth Strategies is also designated as a Women-Owned Small Business (WOSB) through the United States Small Business Administration (SBA).
A respected leader, financial strategy expert, and entrepreneur, Carol was recognized as one of SmartCEO’s 25 BRAVA! Award winners (2012), The Daily Records’ Maryland Top 100 Women (2012), and Woman in Balance (MyCity4Her, 2012). Her expertise has been featured on Fox Business News, and she was tapped to participate in the White House Business Council. In addition to her work with BottomLine Growth, Carol gains much personal satisfaction by working with or on board including: advisory, public, private company and non-profits. Currently Carol sits on the board for Hamilton Bank (“HBK”) and is chair of the audit committee Carol has also held board position in the past with Junior Achievement of Central Maryland, and Network 2000.
Carol holds a BS in Business/Accounting from Towson University and is a magna cum laude graduate of Loyola University with a Masters in Business Administration. She holds both CPA and the CEPA (Certified Exit Planning Advisor) designations.